13 Things to Know about the 13th Annual Fat & Skinny Tire Fest
With the midwest’s premiere “all-size-tires shindig” fast approaching, our ode to celebrating bicycling and community, Fat & Skinny Tire Fest 13 (#FSTF13) coincides with National Bike-to-Work Day as the ride & roll festivities take place May 20-22, 2016. There’s plenty of opportunities to join us on your bike, no matter what style of riding you prefer.
Of course we’re bringing back all the fun and exciting events of previous years including the Friday night kick-off party, live music, great food, cold craft beers, and stellar bicycling fun, as well as some of the exciting new additions from last year, including the Road Time Trial, Three Event Road Omnium competition, and SRAM 4-Cross. Plus, this year we’ve added a family-friendly 12 mile route to the Countryside Tour, as well as a 100 mile “Century” route.
With that said, we wanted to give you 13 key things to know, before Fat & Skinny 13 kicks off…
Once again, we’re looking forward to hosting another exciting year of our all-size-tires bicycling shindig in northern Indiana with a few thousand friends! Spread the word (#FSTF13) and we hope you’ll be one of them.
For additional information, local hotel details, pictures and videos from past festivals, check out the Fat & Skinny Tire Fest 13 website or follow along on our social media pages.
Fat & Skinny Tire Fest 13 is proudly presented by K21 Health Foundation, hosted by the City of Warsaw and the town of Winona Lake, and produced by KCV Cycling Club.
- . Why is the “13” logo upside down? This year’s logo was designed as a tribute to the tradition of cyclists pinning their race number upside down in case they got “13.” A superstitious tradition of battling against the “unlucky 13.” This tradition is so common in the world of bicycle racing that it has its own rule in the Velominati Rules. See our article on the “unlucky 13” and “The Rules.”
- Why do we do it? Plain and simple – it’s a passion for so many of us, thus our goal is to use bicycling to make a difference in our community, state, and nation. By participating, you’re helping us raise awareness and funds for Bicycle Indiana, Ride+Walk Warsaw+Winona Lake, the Winona Lake Trails, KCV Cycling Club, plus more area health and wellness-related organizations.
- Online Registration: the best way to save some dollars, guarantee your entry, and the perks for specific events (Road Time Trial, Kosciusko Countryside Tour, DINO Mountain Bike Race, Circuit Road Race, SRAM 4Cross MTB Race, and Road Criterium).
- Fun for the whole family: whether you want to watch all the racing action, get a ride in yourself, cruise around with your friends, or play with your kids, we have you covered. Check out the schedule.
- Celebrate National Bike Month: this is a special month, and why Fat & Skinny Tire Fest is held in May. We do our best to promote the amazing benefits and fun of the simple joy of bicycling, and we hope you’ll spend a few days celebrating with us. Most importantly, wherever you are in May, get out and ride! Check it out HERE.
- Help make it happen: it literally takes a couple hundred people giving of their time to help make Fat & Skinny Tire Fest happen. And it takes even more to spread the word. Would you consider volunteering with us, or at least sharing our wonderful event with your friends and family through social media?
- Racing, Racing, Racing: three days chocked full of road racing and mountain bike racing for all the competitive folks, including the Friday evening Eddie Merckx-style Road Time Trial, and 3-day Omnium Competition, as well as a Saturday evening SRAM Mountain Bike 4 Cross race to go along with the DINO MTB Series opener, the Circuit Road Race, and Village at Winona Criterium.
- Kids, Kids, Kids: we pride ourselves in providing plenty of opportunities to teach, encourage, and unleash the next generation of bicyclists to enjoy being on two wheels. Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday afternoon, we’ve got activities for the little ones to ride, ride, ride!
- Keep it casual: Not a racer? No worries. We have longer countryside road tours of 12,19, 39, 63 and now 100 miles to enjoy, as well as a short 2.5 mile family-friendly, community critical mass kick-off ride, and casual historical Village at Winona tours of 4 miles. Or, grab a bike from one of our expo partners, and try out your next bike purchase.
- Hours of live entertainment: when you’re ready to kick back and chill, or get your groove on, we’re providing you with several hours of live music on Friday and Saturday night.
- Shop till you drop: need a break from riding? Be sure to pop in to the Village at Winona shops to do some exploring, find that perfect gift, and taste a bit of culinary heaven.
- Eat, drink, and be merry: we guarantee you won’t leave #FSTF13 hungry or thirsty. You won’t have to look far for some amazing food and thirst quenching micro brews, thanks to some of the best restaurants in the state, killer food trucks, and regional brewing staples.
- Find out the when and where: want to know the weekend schedule, and where everything starts, be sure to download the Fat & Skinny Tire Fest app. Available for both iOS and Android devices.